The markets for supplements are huge. People are buying various types for most any condition a person might have. Supplements for joint health, energy, digestion, cardiovascular support, detoxification, muscular strength, etc. The list could go on. There are a few things that are disturbing about this. Let’s keep a few key points in mind.
- Wild animals maintain vigorous health without the use of supplements
- Some forms of supplements have only existed produced by humans for a very short period of time.
- Risks and side effects of taking synthetic vitamins and chemical supplements are not well-known.
We are not saying that supplements are necessarily a bad thing. The message is to use caution and try to favor natural substances over synthetic. The idea of supplements is to use concentrated doses of nutrition or other beneficial compounds to help the body in some way. This is not a new thing. People have long used certain substances to treat different ailments. It just has normally been a type of plant, animal, or other natural entity. So can we use supplements helpfully and safely in the modern age? Here are some tips.
- Regular Whole Foods is your first line of defense. Eating a wide range of healthy items will round out your basic nutrition and protect against deficiencies.
- If you have a specific problem or ailment that you are seeking relief from; do some research into what particular foods may be helpful. For instance, high quality protein for muscular benefits, spicy peppers or greens for cardiovascular health, bone marrow for joint issues, or premium fats for brain and nervous system health.
- Herbs are natures original medicines. They can mend headaches, help constipation, ease stress, among many other things. There is a learning curve with herbs and they can be quite powerful so use caution. Try to learn the herbs that help with your particular condition.
- If you STILL feel the need to buy over the counter supplements, get something of quality that is made from; or extracted versions of whole-foods or herbs.
Supplements are big business and too many people are buying things that either don’t work, could be dangerous, and usually more expensive than food. With some common sense, and old-school know how, you can protect yourself from nutritional deficiencies and help correct or relieve nagging issues with targeted whole foods and/or herbs!
Posted in Blog by optimizedindividual with no comments yet.